The opening for the 38th Montgomery Art Guild Museum Exhibition was held on Thursday, May 21, 2009 at the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts.
Guests enjoyed Philly cheesesteak panini sandwiches, salmon cakes with remoulade and fresh fruit salsa, mushroom fondue with haricot verts and asparagus for dipping, baked feta with fresh breads, pate and bean mousse on Pullman croustade, fried peanut butter banana rolls, and flower dressed chocolate mini cakes prepared by the Museum’s caterer Jennie Weller.
The exhibition is a biennial juried show of painting, drawing, sculpture, mixed media, photography, and computer graphics. The show is open to Montgomery Art Guild members only. At the conclusion of the opening, the winners were announced.
The following awards were presented at the opening reception at the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts:
• Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts Director’s Award, $2500, Dale Lewis for Flora, wood.
• Emily B. Gassenheimer Memorial Purchase Award (A gift from the Central Alabama Community Foundation—Emily B. and Irvin Gassenheimer, Jr. Fund), $2500, Phil Kidd for These Pretzels are Making Me Thirsty!, oil on canvas.
• The Jimmie Lee Sabel Memorial Award, $1500, Phil Scarsbrook for Leaves, giclee print.
• MMFA Foy Gilmore Goodwyn Memorial Fund Merit Award, $1000, Takako Cairns for Jingle, Jangle, Jumble, mixed media.
• Ms. Mary Cahn Merit Award, $1000, Katherine Shaw for Verfall, India ink and graphite on aqua-board.
• June Brown Memorial Award, $1000, Fae Frederick for Barbed Wire Princess, photograph.
• Dr. Phatama Padavanija Purchase Award for Traditional Art, $1000, Wendy Slaton for Full House, oil and pastel on canvas.
• Aronov Realty Management, Inc. Award, $500, Chie A. Hitcher for Silk and Rose Geometric, woven silk.
• Harmon Dennis Bradshaw, Inc. Merit Award, $500, Joe Wujcik for Natural Edge Teapot, wood sculpture with turquoise inlay.
• Montgomery Art Gallery Association Merit Award (Alabama Artists Gallery, CAS Gallery, Charleston House, David Braly Gallery, Marcia Weber Art Objects, SACS Gallery, Stonehenge Gallery), $500, Margaret Gluhman for Gee’s Bend Series: Narrative, collage.
• Alabama Public Library Service Award in Honor of June Brown# 135, Nan Cunningham for Zimmer, mixed media.
This year’s juror was Ron Platt, the Hugh Kaul Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art at the Birmingham Museum of Art. The show was chaired by Andrew Hairstans and co-chaired by George Taylor.
“The Museum is grateful for the continued support of the Montgomery Art Guild in mounting this popular, long-running exhibition of contemporary art,” said Mark Johnson, Museum Director.
The 38th Montgomery Art Guild Museum Exhibition is sponsored by the Aaron Aronov Family Foundation; Jackson, Thornton and Co., PC; and Dawn and Adam Schloss. The exhibition is on view at the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts through July 19, 2009.